The Australian Tax Office (ATO) requires the following records to be kept in relation to cryptocurrencies.
- the date of the transactions
- the value of the cryptocurrency in Australian dollars at the time of the transaction (which can be taken from a reputable online exchange)
- what the transaction was for and who the other party was (even if it’s just their cryptocurrency address).
The sorts of records you should keep include:
- receipts of purchase or transfer of cryptocurrency
- exchange records
- records of agent, accountant and legal costs
- digital wallet records and keys
- software costs related to managing your tax affairs